Welcome to our website
We study the regulation of cell proliferation with an emphasis on centrioles and cilia. Centrioles are essential for the formation of several microtubule-organizing structures, including centrosomes, cilia and flagella. more
Ours is an integrated approach that combines studies in model organisms with studies in human cells, along with bioinformatics and mathematical modelling. more
Centrioles are essential for the formation of several microtubule-organizing structures including centrosomes, cilia, and flagella. In the centrosome, two centrioles associate with the pericentriolar matrix, constituting the primary microtubule-organizing centre of animal cells. more
There are many of us in the Cell Cycle Regulation Lab: the PI, PhD students, Post-Doc fellows, and research assistants. Each of us works on a different, but complementary, project. Currently, the group encompasses biologists, biochemists, chemists, cytologists, and biological engineers, but we welcome people from other backgrounds, such as medicine, physics, and informatics (more).
Oct2014 - Gaelle Marteil and Adan Guerrero had poster prize at EMBO Centrosome & SPB conference
Oct2014 - We hosted EMBO Centrosome & SPB conference in Lisbon
Summer2014 - Catarina Nabais (PhD Student) and Katharina Dores (Masters Student) joined our lab-welcome!
2014-2016 - FCT Post-doctoral Fellowship awarded to Gaelle Marteil; EMBO fellowship awarded to Maria Francia
2013-2015 - Human Frontiers Post-doctoral Fellowship awarded to Daisuke Ito
Sep2013 - Sascha Werner had poster prize at EMBO Drosophila Cell Cycle Workshop
Summer2013 - 3 Lab members teaching in Physiology Course in Woods Hole
2013-2015 - FCT Post-doctoral Fellowships awarded to Daisuke Ito, Susana Montenegro Gouveia, and Swadhin Jana
2013-2014 - "The Uehara Memorial Foundation" grant (Japan) awarded to Daisuke Ito
Dez2012 - Keith Porter Fellowship awarded to Monica Bettencourt-Dias
Nov2012 - Pfizer Award in Basic Research on the sperm motility study (Dev Cell. 2012 23(2):412-24)
Summer2012 - Laboratory sabbatical in the MBL in Woods Hole in the Summer (7 lab members, loads fun!, see photos)
New papers from our Group:
- Zitouni S, Nabais C, Jana SC, Guerrero A, Bettencourt-Dias M (2014).Polo-like kinases: structural variations lead to multiple functions. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol.
- Jana SC, Marteil G, Bettencourt-Dias M (2014). Mapping molecules to structure: unveiling secrets of centriole and cilia assembly with near-atomic resolution. Curr Opin Cell Biol.
- Cunha-Ferreira, Bento, Pimenta Marques, Chandra Jana, Lince-Faria, Duarte, Borrego-Pinto, Gilberto, Amado, Brito, Rodrigues-Martins, Debski, Dzhindzhev, Bettencourt-Dias (2013) Regulation of auto-phosphorylation controls PLK4 self-destruction and centriole number Current Biol.
- Jana SC, Bazan JF, Bettencourt-Dias M. (2012) Polo boxes come out of the crypt: a new view of PLK function and evolution. Structure
- Carvalho-Santos Z, Machado P, Alvarez-Martins I, Gouveia SM, Jana SC, Duarte P, Amado T, Branco P, Freitas MC, Silva ST, Antony C, Bandeiras TM, Bettencourt-Dias M. (2012). BLD10/CEP135 is a microtubule-associated protein that controls the formation of the flagellum central microtubule pair. Dev Cell.
Lab Photos more